The Woman He Married, by Julie Ford: A Review
My thoughts of late have been running along the lines of what femininity means to me and how I want to live my life as a woman. It has been weighing heavily on my mind since I've had my baby girl and I can only assume the two are tied. The story of Josie McClain has furthered my own self-discovery and made me think and reflect. Josie is a beautiful intelligent mother and wife who stays home and takes care of her children while her husband, John, works around the clock in a high pressure job. While Josie is smart and passionate, she seems to have become complacent about some of the things that matter most. Josie and John have what looks like the perfect life, home, family, cars (minivan;)) but when questions about John's fidelity arise, Josie is forced to not only take a hard look at her marriage and herself, but an even harder look at what it is she values in this life and how to make those things matter in such a way that she will fight to have them.
While this journey is often one filled with pain for Josie, you are taking this journey along with her as the reader, and at times I was so very distraught for her. Josie is, while not someone I completely identified with in the beginning, someone I cared for and was rooting for. My eyes raced through the pages when, just as I would think I knew Josie, something else, a deeper layer, was revealed about her and made me want to know even more. For me there were so many emotions to this book, so many moments each yielding something separate and meaningful. Some were funny, some sad and painful, some uncomfortable and still some tender. When Josie thought or spoke of her children, I could feel her character resonating with the mother in me and I felt connected, the way all of us who love a chubby cheeked baby or a knee-skinned child are all connected.
Gripped in the beginning, somewhere in the middle I became concerned as to where exactly this would lead me and Josie. I became concerned with the decisions that where in front of her and what it was she valued. In the end, I was completely satisfied with not only the conclusions Josie had come to, but the lessons and meaning of "wife" and "mother" that I had pondered along with Josie. This book holds meaning for me. Josie's story and personal epiphanies have made my own mind wrap around new and worthwhile thoughts on marriage and motherhood. And being a new and sometimes overwhelmed mom to a one-year old, worthwhile and meaningful are two things that make my soul happy and content.
This is Julie, my aunt (see, told you she was pretty). She is an author, wife and mother who lives way too far away from me in Nashville, TN.
A winner will be announced the 20th on Julie's blog. For a second chance to win, a follow-up contest is already underway. Check our her blog for details.


8 comments:
Natalie - I loved your review! You did a great job portraying an understanding of Josie's character and her journey to rediscover who she once was, and could be again. I too found it easy to relate to Josie (I'm so in touch with my feminine side!). One minute you feel her pain and anguish, and then the next your rooting for her as she begins to realize the mess that is her life, and how she needs to make necessary changes to be truly happy.
PS: Paige is an EXTREMELY CUTE baby!! I need to get out there one of these days for a visit!! Say 'Hey' to Brad. - Tracy
That sounds like a very good book and I really value your opinon on books. I'm going to check out your aunts blog too. btw I'll have you a batch of cupcakes ready when i'm there. :)
I love a good book! Sounds like a very interesting one. I'll have to check on her blog. And might I say you seem to have that writing gene as well :)
I really liked your review of this novel. I am the mother of five children and was the carpool driver a lot and went to school functions alone many of the times. I could relate with the character of Josie. I often wondered if there was anything more than being the mom because sometimes you wanted conversations with adults instead of with kids. Don't get me wrong I love my kids and wouldn't trade my time with them but adults need to be able to communicate with adults sometimes. This novel was a wonderful novel in that it showed how both John and Josie realized what each was doing wrong to the other and how they made things work for them. I too think that your aunt is a very talented and pretty lady.
The pictures of your little one are very cute. Treasure your time with her.
K, pretty sure you should be a writer too. Your book review was fantastic and it sounded very professional. That is so cool that your aunt wrote a novel. I cannot imagine how difficult that would be but I'm so glad there are people out there to entertain me!
Your review is thought provoking. I want to read the book now!
The book sounds interesting. Paige is a doll.
Natalie, just reading your review was intriguing. You certainly have sparked my interest in the book. I love the words you used and the fun ways you described your experience. Maybe you should write a book! I would read it. :)
Post a Comment