Side note to any who don't know. I have never been able to breathe very well through my nose. I have even had this surgery done once before about 7 years ago, and it did not work at all. I have since been referred to the best doctor in the state since I am a 'revision case' and have a 'very difficult nose'. Second surgery was necessary to fix my nose, fix what the other guy did, and just make me happier.
Tuesday, Day 1 - I am terrified. We wake up at the crack of dawn and head up the the surgical center in West Valley. On the way up, the morning sun was so beautiful coming over the mountains that it helped calm me down a lot. But that only lasted me so long. We got there, filled out paper work, and then I went back to start my IV and get in that lovely gown. So the nurse takes me back to this area where lots of people are waiting in their own little curtained off rooms,and she puts the IV in my hand so badly that I can feel it in my liver. I never have a problem with IV's and veins and the whole blood thing. I have done it so many times. For me it's just, with arm extended, "here ya go, do what you gotta do," and all goes smoothly. Well not today. So after she puts the dang thing in already, she's got whatever fluid it is pumping like mad into me. She realizes this and says she better turn that down. After the turning down of the 'stuff,' she leaves. I am all alone in my gown and cap, in the curtain room, listening to the nurses talking about how stressed out they are, and all of a sudden I am feeling very, very light headed. Next thing I remember is I am slumped over in my chair, and some other nurse is screaming my name asking if I am taking a nap or if I have passed out. !!!! Yep, just thought I'd get a nap in while I sit and wait. Whatever! I passed out! She then proceeds to tell Brad, who followed her in, that this sometimes happens as well as a seizure. Perfect thing to say to a nervous patient and her clearly rattled husband. Anyhoo. . . after they got me some blankets and the numbness in my hands went away which apparently comes when one passes out, I met with my doctor, anestheseologist, and O.R. nurse who were all totally awesome and made up for whatever the nurses did to me!
And off I went. I am still terrified. If you don't know what Anesthesia Awareness is, DO NOT find out. After four and a half hours I was waking up, and even though I kept saying I was in pain, it was just pretty much like they just wanted me to get in that wheelchair, get dressed, and get outta there. At home, after the pain pills kicked in, I was better. Mom and Dad came to see me which made me feel better. And the recovery begins.
Wednesday, Day 2 - I love visitors! Each and every person that came to see me, you rock!! It made me feel so much better and distracted me from my big purple face. Can't really eat yet. Can't really move yet. My eyes are a very darkened shade of something, and at 3:40 in the afternoon I have to actually get in the car and ride up to the doctor's office so he can take the packing out of my nose. He said,"this will be like taking a big thorn out of a lion's claw,". . . . or something like that. I wish you could see Brad's face while this happened. I won't try to describe it for you. But I could breathe!
Thursday, Day 3 - Today I ate. All of a sudden, about midday, I am dying for fried chicken. Fried chicken! Anyone who knows me knows I don't even like fried chicken! So Brad and I took a drive to the closest KFC and ordered it right up. It took me about a half an hour to eat one piece, about one bite every ten minutes, but I swear this is when I started to feel a lot better. Fried chicken, who knew? Ailments: my hand hurts like #!&$! from said IV, my chest is terrible achy, I seem to have a bronchial sounding cough that rivals any I've ever had, my throat is dry and raw and dry and raw, my neck and back hurt, I am sensitive to sound and light, but my nose isn't too shabby. Did I mention my throat is dry and raw?!
Friday, Day 4 - Things that I can do are take extremely slow strolls to the mailbox, take extremely slow strolls to the bathroom, sometimes venture upstairs, and sort of just stare at whatever is on TV. I am sorry to any neighbors who had to see me meandering around all day at a snails pace because I couldn't bear to sit in the house anymore. I have now figured out how to wash my hair without getting my nose wet and still people come to visit and cheer me up so much.
Weekend - I feel pretty good. By Saturday night I feel like I've rounded the bend and am pretty comfortable. Still just tired and sleeping a lot, but very very glad that the past days are over with. Swelling and bruising are down, but my eyes are still wonderful shades of purple. This recovery was much harder than last time.
Wednesday, Day 8 - The cast comes off, the stitches out, and the true miracle of breathing through one's nose begins. I love my doctor, Dr Mobley! And that, is the last surgery I am EVER having. And what would I do without my husband? He did it all. Made all kinds of ice packs (some that have never even been invented yet), he bought me this big white fluffy blanket and matching body pillow for me to snuggle with while I got better, he read my extremely girly book aloud to me, he fixed me endless amounts of macaroni and cheese, and had just had to deal with me when I wasn't the happiest of people. He is the best.
It was all worth it. It's official. I can breathe like a normal person (still can't believe all you lucky people got to breathe like this all the time).
2 comments:
Congrats! I am happy to hear it was a success this time around.
hooray for breathing! :)
Post a Comment