Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Snow
Every winter, I am get so excited when I look outside in the morning and for the first time, there is inches upon inches of snow. I love it. It's like someone came and brought me a surprise in the middle of the night, and it's beautiful. Now, most people think I am crazy so let me explain. I did not see snow the first half of my life. Not a single flake. It was something for storybooks and movies, but not a reality where we lived. In fact, when I was little I thought you could actually see the flakes in detail, like in children's books, and when I finally did see snow fall I wondered, "when do the flakes come?"
When our family moved to Utah, we were all excited to see it. The neighbors stared when we all came running outside, complete with snow pants, boots, mittens, earmuffs, big bulky coats, to build a snowman (which my dad suggested we build using a shovel) when everyone else was barely in a sweater. In high school, when only my dad and I would be awake at some awful hour in the morning, sometimes he would poke his head in my room and ask with a grin, "have you looked outside?"
So for me it's still a little magical. I still wake up in the morning and peek out the window to see if everything is covered in a fresh layer of white. But I have a real problem with the whole sun going on sabbatical for the season thing. And I also have a real problem with the frigid temperature thing. And the ice. And staying cooped up in my house all the time. But just the freshly fallen snow itself? Love.
Of course, being cooped up with her isn't all that bad. Especially when her hair has extra volume she has avocado on her face:)
Sorry for the long post. What can I say? Paige is napping and the house is clean and I feel free!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
oh my goodness, that beautiful face! i love her! it cracks me up how much we have in common or how many opinions we have in common. every single word you described (except maybe the shovel snowman part) is exactly how i feel about the snow. magic, pure & simple :)
She is so beautiful. I love that picture. I miss the snow. I don't miss driving in it or being in it for months on end, but I miss seeing freshly fallen snow so white and unwalked on. We usually only get about one day durring the winter that it snows. my kids love that day and so do I.
There is something about fresh snow that makes me feel a quiet-cozy-warm thing . . .
That being said, I love fresh snow but I'm also tired of being stuck in the house. uck.
Post a Comment