Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oh So Good

For this past Mother's Day, I decided to cook up something special for my family to enjoy on the big day and guess what, it actually turned out good so I thought I'd share. We always pitch in so Mom doesn't have to cook anything and she can relish in a Sunday afternoon where she can just show up to the table when it's time and not lift a finger, and usually it's with Dad on the grill and me and my sisters doing whatever else. But this year I wanted to actually cook. Not just prepare a salad or stir the punch, but actually get something tasty and try to expand my recipe index. You see, I have long had a love affair with baking. I have been intrigued with cake baking since I was little, and have fond memories of my first baking recipe book and my very own measuring spoons. But cooking. . . not so much. I have a few things I like to make and I think taste half decent, but I really need to learn how to cook for my family (eating out? got that one down.) because I just love so many things about it. So I hunted around for some recipes to try and decided to lean towards something Italian: Lasagna Rolls and Garlic Cheese Bread (click on them for the recipes.). And guess what? They were spankin' good.


Fresh out of the oven. Aromas wafting around. Why don't I do this more???


See how it's like lasagna, only rolled up? The lasagna noodle is cooked, laid flat, yummy ingredients piled on, and then rolled up to bake. Not to mention smothered in cheese and a yummy white sauce. This is not a healthy meal. But I did make a few with whole wheat noodles, because I'm freaky like that.


And that bread. . .mmm was it delish. You have got to try it if you like hot bread with cheese. And if you don't you are obviously not human. I changed up the recipes after I tried it once, and I do like the changes better. I added some mozzarella & some of the bechamel sauce inside the lasagna rolls, and I omitted the green onions and roasted garlic from the bread (i just brushed on butter and used garlic powder instead.). I just didn't have any on hand, but it was still to die for. One more recipe under my belt, hooray! Progress my friends, progress.

3 comments:

Brad said...

I am so glad that you decided to cook that meal. It was off the charts. Not only did your mom benefit from it I did to. You are the bomb and so is your food. Love you baby girl.

Andrea said...

Yummy. I want the recipes for them.

Rusty and Jessica Terry said...

i am going to try this next week. looks good