Recently our family celebrated my little sister Breeann's birthday, and I was really excited about the present I got her. Walt Disney's The Little Mermaid, in all it's DVD Platinum Issue glory. Now, you may not think this is wonderful at all, but my sister Breeann was, in effect, Ariel for a period of her life. In fact, she dubbed all of us family members different characters, me alternating between Scuttle and Sebastian, whichever fit her mood. I cannot tell you how many times The Little Mermaid played at our house when she was little. And so, for the sake of childhood reminscing, I bought her her very own copy.
Well that got me thinking about all the cartoons that I loved and adored as a kid. Some of the ficional characters that shaped my little childhood land? Of course there was Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, She-Ra, My Litte Pony, Today's Special, Mary Poppins(Mom says I watched it so much I started to speak with a British accent.), Captain Kangaroo, Reading Rainbow, Annie(the good one, with Carol Burnett), the HuggaBunch Movie and really I could go on and on. Soon Brad joined in on it and our evening consisted of, "remember the one that. . .," or "oooh, I loved the one where. . . " Then I decided I should look on YouTube and just see what they had to offer. Oh dear. I watched a whole episode of Rainbow Brite. The one with the star sprinkles and Murky & Lurky? I also watched an episode of Strawberry Shortcake. I woke up this morning singing the theme song. They even had my HuggaBunch Movie which NO ONE seems to have loved but me. However those singing dolls seem pretty freaky now. Even Today's Special! I had so much fun watching old cartoons I thought I'd put on the theme songs to a few of my favorites. This was a hard list to choose. I had to include She-Ra even though her and her twin He-Man scared me a bit a child, although Mom tells me I had an imaginary friend named He-Man (Hey, I was an only child for the better part of five years okay? No familial playmates for me). And if the early-mid eighties was not your cartoon era, well you won't be very entertained. But if it was. . . enjoy! I dare you not to smile the whole time.
2 comments:
I love it. this is so fun. I loved today's special.
okay, you are the only other person i know that has ever heard of today's special AND hugga bunch!!! i LOVED both of those, it's embarrassing. i even had a HB record that i listened to for YEARS and one day my dad threw it out or gave it to goodwill or something. i still search for a minute when i'm in a thrift store to see if it has magically floated in :) and jem? i used to have to wake up at like 5am to catch that - she was my favorite! this post was simply fantastic :)
Post a Comment